Pages

Monday, March 02, 2009

For Love Of Poached Eggs



Ok, so I love poached eggs. This weekend at the host home I stayed in, Shirley made me poached eggs for breakfast. I hadn't had a poached egg since the Girlfriend Getaway Cruise, where I ate them every morning for breakfast with some fresh fruit.. and felt extremely healthy for doing so! So, when Shirley offered to make them for me, I told her she could if I could watch her do it. She gave me a very quick lesson on how to poach an egg and I found it was easier than I had anticipated. Like most people who've been cooking for a very long time, Shirley was quite adept at it, and didn't consider it a very big deal.

So, fast forward to yesterday morning when I decided to try my hand at poaching eggs. While my eggs did resemble poached eggs (and tasted just fine), they didn't hold their shape or thicken up the way they are supposed to. So, I did what all folks in this day and age do-- I googled it. And I was delighted to find this easy, simple video on how to poach an egg, step by step. If I can't have Shirley cooking for me, at least I can have this video as backup.

*This post was written, incidentally, for the one of you who always wanted to know how to poach an egg, but didn't know who to ask. Now you know.
Pin It!

4 comments:

Mary Humphrey said...

I have not had a poached egg in years, but I believe I will be having one or two again. Poached eggs on whole wheat toast sounds great right now!

Kelli said...

I don't know if you know or not but you can buy an egg poacher which will make perfectly thick, round poached eggs?

My dad always made poached eggs when I was growing up and I knew that I would have to have one of these handy gadgets in my kitchen. It is wonderful.. and takes the guess work out of it. You can make it anyway you want, runny, hard or in between. I love it!

Kelli

Debra said...

I never have made a poached egg before, will have to try it out for my family. I cant do the yolk, I do egg whites only.

LeAnn said...

I am a huge fan of poached eggs. They are a favorite breakfast food. My mom always made them in a poached egg pan so for me... comfort poached eggs have to be shaped like triangles! Some things just aren't right unless they are like mammas!

Oh... BTW... have I mentioned that YOUR NEW BOOK ARRIVED TODAY?!

Uh huh... it's your birthday...

Love,
LeAnn