Pages

Thursday, January 08, 2009

January Books


In January, I plan to read books about Winter and Libraries. (Don't ask how I came up with this, I just did.) In February, I plan to read books about love, the heart, and presidents for president's day. (I will post those lists in early February.)

Here is a list of Winter books I plan to read through in the next week or two:

First Snow by Emily Arnold McCully

Tracks in the Snow by Wong Herbert Yee

When It Starts To Snow by Phillis Gershator

Winter Visitors by Elizabeth Lee O'Donnell

The Winter Wren by Brock Cole

A Winter Walk by Lynne Barasch

Winter Trees by Carole Gerber

Winter: An Alphabet Acrostic by Steven Schnur

Katy and The Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton

Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening by Robert Frost

Dear Rebecca, Winter Is Here by Jean Craighead George

Grandmother Winter by Phyllis Root

The Rag Coat by Lauren Mills

And here are our library titles:

Book! Book! Book! by Deborah Bruss

The Library Dragon by Carmen Deedy

Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen

When The Library Lights Go Out by Megan McDonald

Winston The Book Wolf by Marni McGee

Library Lil by Suzanne Williams
Pin It!

13 comments:

Sandra in Phx said...

Those look like some great books! I think I will copy and paste this list and see what I can find at our local library!

WOO HOO! I love it when someone else does the work for me;)

redsoxmom said...

Marybeth,
Some of these books sound wonderful; I'll have to check them out at my local library. I don't homeschool, but I like to add activities, worksheets, books, and other little 'assignments' to supplement their regular schoolwork.

I also have a great suggestion for your younger ones come springtime; the book is called "I Love You More Than Rainbows" by Susan Crites. She is a dear woman who I went to both high school and college with. Her story is amazing and inspirational. I think both you and your kids would enjoy her first book. It's available on amazon, FCB, etc., but I'm not sure about libraries. Her website/blog is located at: www.susancrites.com

Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting your book list!! We'll have fun looking for some of these at the library.

We read a really great book this morning called "Bats at the Library" by Brian Lies. I checked it out from the library and all of my kids loved it!

Diane

Marybeth Whalen said...

Thanks for the suggestion about Bats at the Library! I put it on hold at our library! Fun!

Anonymous said...

Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening by Robert Frost is one of our favorites!! it's a must!!

Jenni said...

Brrrrrrrrr...your list makes me feel cold. ;o)

Oh Dear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Oh Dear said...

Our 4 yr. old daugher LOVES Lola at the Library by Anna McQuinn. She and her 7 year old brother both liked, Our Librarian Won't Tell Us Anything by Toni Buzzeo. This book tells of the many resources a library has to offer.

Rachel Olsen said...

I almost had a cow reading this post ... At first glance I didn't realize these were picture books, rather than novels or 200 page adult non-fiction. I thought, "How is the world will MB read all these in the next couple weeks - has she gotten a bootleg RX for Ritalin?!"

Smiles ~ Rachel

4torock said...

I can't wait for Feb. list! I couldn't think of any ideas other than V day myself but O how you just put it perfectly..... hope to see you around somewhere-- usually do!! lol:)

Laurie Ann said...

Great reading list! I love Frost's Stopping By...

Karin Katherine said...

We love Library Lion and Library Lil.
There is also "The Boy who was raised by Librarians" and "Library Mouse"

Sandra in Phx said...

OK, I finally got off my procrastination station and decided to get these books put on hold at our local public library...and guess what?! Our library has put a hold on holds until Jan. 28th...The idea of dragging all five kids with me to the library to look for books is sounds way less appealing. LOL