Is one of your promises this year to spend more time with God?
I was there just a few years ago-- inundated with life and wondering how in the world to make time with God a priority... yet knowing that I needed to desperately. And so, I prayed and asked God to show me how. And I didn't have to wait long to hear my answer. He responded back, "You don't seem to need guidance in how to make time for that computer."
Ouch! And boy, was He right. My computer is my lifeline-- my writing, most of my communication, and my hobby (reading blogs and writing my own) are all tied up in this one machine. So I go to it often. And I don't struggle with finding the time to do so, either.
And so, I made God a promise. I wouldn't get on the computer unless I have spent time with Him first. Since then I have spent a year reading "The Daily Message Bible," finally fulfilling my desire to read through the entire Bible. And this year I have spent time going through "Streams In The Desert," a devotion I kept seeing quoted everywhere. And now I know why. It was rich, and deep, and perfect for me this year.
And so, I am looking towards this coming year, praying through what I will read. Many, many women have signed up to go through the Daily Chronological Bible with Wendy Pope at Proverbs 31. We were overwhelmed by the response! Perhaps that's something you want to sign up to do. You can order your Bible from P31 for just $20 (ask for it for Christmas from your husband or mom or sister or friend).
I am taking a risk this year and instead of going through a planned daily reading type book, I am going to read some books that have been sitting on my shelf for awhile, waiting patiently for their turn. Books that I bought intending to study, but never got around to it. Books that are too heavy for my "I'm-too-tired-at-night-for-heavy-reading-I-just-need-something-light" self. Books that begged to be read, yet I can't find the time (here we go again!). And so, I am going to use them for my morning time with God, hopefully reading through a chapter each morning. Most of these have some sort of study questions and an opportunity to dig deeper into God's word, which is what I am looking for.
And so, I am going to share with you a list I have made so far, in no certain order:
- Self Talk, Soul Talk: What To Say When You Talk To Yourself by Jennifer Rothschild
- Holy Habits: A Woman's Guide To Intentional Living by Mimi Wilson and Shelly Cook Volkhardt
- Facedown by Matt Redman (Worship is something I want to learn more about.)
- Contentment: A Godly Woman's Adornment by Lydia Brownback
- Pray With Purpose, Live With Passion: How Praising God A to Z Will Transform Your Life by Debbie Williams (Prayer is something I want to learn more about.)
- Meet Me At The Well: Take A Month To Water Your Soul by Virelle Kidder
- Strong Women, Soft Hearts: A Woman's Guide to Cultivating a Wise Heart and a Passionate Life by Paula Rinehart
- The Power of a Positive Mom by Karol Ladd (I know, I have never read it!)
- Beginning With The End In Mind: Simplifying Life With God's Supreme Priorities by Lori Lane
- The Ministry Of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson
I would love for you all to leave a comment with any others you think I should add! Though admittedly, this list alone might take me alllll year!