Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Post Day 15: Making New Traditions


Sometimes Christmas traditions are so old no one knows when they began, or how. But sometimes they are born out of a random comment, an interest that is sparked, a one-time event that becomes something... more. That's how our new tradition of baking baklava with my friend (and fellow speaker team member) Zoe was born-- me offhandedly commenting that I loved baklava and would love to learn how to make it. Since Zoe makes lots to give away at Christmas, we decided last year to get together so she could teach my mom and me. Well, this year my girls wanted to learn as well, so we got together again. Dare I say a Christmas tradition has been born? We had such a great time making baklava this past Saturday-- and my friend Erica even joined us for the fun!
Zoe instructing us all on the fine art of baklava baking.

Me painting the fillo dough with LOTS of butter... and yes, I was talking when Erica snapped the photo

My 14yo studding the pieces of baklava with cloves.

My 8 yo with the finished product-- so proud!

Me and my friend Erica... we decided we are greek now!
Zoe, thanks for letting us crash your baklava making party-- and for your patience with our non-Greek selves. Can't wait til this coming Saturday when we are getting together again... this time to make mints... and maybe some other goodies too!


Pin It!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks delicious!

Irene said...

That looks like fun AND delicious. If it tastes as good as it looks, then you have earned your first stripe in Greek Patisserie!

Then perhaps next year you might want to put some 'kourambiedes' under your belt (recipe here:http://thegreengreek.blogspot.com/2008/12/christmas-tour-of-homes.html).
I might not join you in your kitchen, but we could do a photo tutorial! Who knows what technology brings us next!

Merry CHRISTmas to you and your lovely family.