Pages

Friday, September 12, 2008

Welcome Relief


The phone call last night was welcomed after a busy week of schooling and running. With the rainy weather we have been having and the threat of more rain on the way, our church homeschool group decided to reschedule the park day/"Not Back To School" party for later in the month.

While the kids were counting the days til the party, this mom was tired! I was craving a "jammie day." I needed a day to be at home and putter-- to make a decent meal and do some household chores. To have time to actually read some emails instead of just scan them. To read out loud to my kids after a few days of dashing about.

And so, instead of a day spent with other moms and kids (which would have been fun), we are spending time getting our schoolwork for the week wrapped up. I have pulled out a stack of library books we checked out this week but haven't read yet. The kids have opened their new whiteboards to draw on while we read. If we have time, we might practice some folds and start that sample lapbook I have been wanting to make. I made beef tips in the crockpot, so we will smell them cooking all day. Tonight I will serve them over rice, with green beans, homemade rolls, and a strawberry/banana fruit salad on the side. I just bought chocolate chips, so my daughter and I might make blondies for dessert this afternoon. I might even convince Curt to stop by the store on the way home and pick up some ice cream to serve on top-- and maybe a bottle of wine for he and I to enjoy with our dinner.

We did make an unscheduled trip to the gas station this morning to fill up our car with gas, thanks to the news reports that gas prices are expected to rise due to Hurricane Ike. But other than that, we will stay put. Sometimes a cancelled event is a welcome relief. We needed a day to slow down, to catch our breath, and to focus on home, and the people who live here.

Ahhhhh.
Pin It!

4 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

Glad you got that welcome relief. I long for a day like that soon! Dinner sounds yummy.

Anonymous said...

Hey Marybeth! Know what you mean about a break in schedule. I actually put your mexican chicken concoction in the crock pot this morning. So, we are already smelling it.....will serve it over rice with cheese and sour cream and cut up some watermelon and cantaloupe. Thanks for the recipe idea and thanks for reminding us to find joy in our day no matter how the plans change!!!

arabelle marie said...

Mary Beth, I love reading your blog. You are such an encouragement to me. I am pregnant with my fifth baby, and my oldest is six. So, I'm busy to say the least. I often read your blog on my phone when I'm awake with insomnia. God has really been doing something in my heart. I've just been struggling in the day-to-day, but He's been encouraging me in so many ways, and you are definitely one of them. So, thank you for your blog and your thoughts.

In Christ,
Arabelle

Celly B said...

I like to call days like the one you described "hunkering down." You are a wise woman to choose to stay at home rather than filling up that open part of your schedule with other activities. Your day sounds heavenly!