Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Nowhere Else On Earth


Last night as rain poured down and the light of day gave way to darkness, I turned on my Ipod in the kitchen while I made dinner. My three year old sat at the kitchen table, diligently coloring in her Strawberry Shortcake coloring book and calling out to me occasionally to admire her work. I made baked potato soup, a family favorite-- something most of them enjoy eating. I mixed up homemade yeast rolls and talked to my two older girls while I worked, explaining about cooking with yeast and hearing their thoughts on cooking and life and school and friends.

The rain beat down steadily outside, but we were warm and dry inside. Music played softly in the background, a soundtrack to our lives. And then this song came on. I stood at the stove, stirring my pot of soup, listening to the words of the song, to Carly singing so beautifully about her children and knowing exactly what inspired those words. I stood there thinking how blessed, how truly blessed, I am. And I knew with certainty and conviction there truly was nowhere else on earth I would rather be at that moment than there, in that kitchen, with these children, stirring soup and feeling really, really happy. A lot of people think that it is in the big stuff of life-- the vacations, the holidays, the monumental moments-- that we find happiness. But the older I get, the more I don't think so. I have found that it is in the simplest of moments that we can find the greatest joys. I don't think I will ever forget that moment-- that feeling-- as long as I live. And yet, it was a moment of nothing special. And everything wonderful.
Pin It!

10 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

Oh, Amen, Marybeth! That makes me miss my bonus-daughter being young and still living at home. Treasure every moment. She was 6 when Steve and I married and he had custody of her, so we were an instant family...Now she's 23. Looking back, it goes by in the blink of an eye. Glad you are treasuring it. I'd trade all the trips in the world for family time on the back patio with those long talks by the firepit gladly.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Isn't it great to feel full filled in the important stuff?

Bonita said...

Amen, Sister! I've found that the more I go and see and do in life, and of course the older I get, the more I understand what really counts and it's not all the stuff "out there".

It's so weird that it was raining at your house and it was clear here. At first when I read your post I thought you must be talking about a day in the past. Strange how the weather works.

rural momma said...

I totally agree!! :0) My kids are: 18, 16, 14, 12 and the oldest is in college. I used be a "mommy on the run" but now I'm settled and content with the "little things".

JenB said...

Hey MB
I have a question about CBS and I didn't see an email for you. Have you ever done BSF and how does it compare? I did a year of BSF and honestly I didn't really like it. (BSFers everywhere are gasping and calling me a blasphemer, I'm sure)Anyway, just wondering about it. Thanks! j_dbridges@bellsouth.net

JenB said...

Ok, I'm an idiot. I found your email! Sorry!

Jenni said...

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Let me reiterate Amen Sister! Those are the best times.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Carly on a rainy fall evening.
That's like Norah on a sultry summer evening.

lifelaughterchaos said...

I just love moments like that. And how crazy is that? I also made loaded baked potato soup on Wednesday!