Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Day To Do Absolutely, Positively NOTHING


This morning I woke up cold. No matter how much coffee I drank or how warmly I dressed, I stayed cold. The weather outside also looked cold-- just looking out the window made me shiver. My baby was still coughing and my 13 yo was stuffy and sleepy. So, I handed down the verdict that the girls and I were staying home and doing nothing-- no church, no chores, no obligations of any sort. A day to do nothing was exactly what we all needed. So, Curt and the boys headed off to church, then out to lunch, then over to the Playhouse so Curt could usher, then off to run some errands. Because he just did not feel the same about doing nothing, apparently.

Me? I stayed on the couch most of the day. Only getting up when I absolutely had to. I made us a lunch of whatever I could scrounge up, then laid back down. It was like I was sick or something. Only I wasn't. I was just flat-out out of energy. Happens to the best of us, or so I am told. I must say that I rarely have a day that I do literally nothing-- no laundry, no dishes, no writing-related duties. I didn't even read a book, as even that seemed like a strain. Watching old movies on tv was much, much easier.

Mostly we watched the food network. We watched Paula and Rachael cook and plan for their holiday meals. It was fascinating. And inspiring. So inspiring, in fact, that I got up and went to the pantry and got out the makings for pumpkin bread and mint chocolate chip cookies. I did not, however, go so far as to actually make these things. So now they are just sitting out on the counter accusingly-- evidence of just how lazy I was today. Curt said I could make those items tomorrow, which sounds reasonable. I am hoping the urge and the energy will be there tomorrow.

But not today. Today was a day to do absolutely, positively nothing. And you know what? It felt good, decadent even. You should try it sometime.

ETA: I remembered something I did do first thing this morning. I read the book "An Orange For Frankie" by Patricia Polacco out loud to my kids. It was a great story. It made me want to eat an orange. And it just felt cozy to snuggle up and read a good book to my kids. It made me nostalgic for our homeschool days. But we won't talk about that right now.
Pin It!

2 comments:

Wrinkled Shirts said...

Marybeth, ahhhh, I envy your day of nothingness! I love those days but for me, however, I spent the majority of my day in Seattle on a broken airplane. I showed up at 7:30am to work my flight home to Houston and instead got to sit onboard watching movies until 11:30am while they flew in a special part from Houston. I'm now curled up in my favorite chair with my computer and I think for the rest of the evening I'll do nothing.

Bonita said...

Well, if I'd known you were home doing nothing I would have called you because I was doing exactly the same thing. I woke up at 2:00 a.m. and never could get back to sleep so the body was tired and the mind couldn't focus. My husband encouraged me to just do nothing all day. I felt guilty kept saying, "I should be doing something," but at his insistence I never did.