Pages

Monday, July 23, 2007

Peace Week


Last week my neighbor had an unexpected week of no kids. It just so happened that her two girls had signed up to go on a mission trip the same week her son was going to camp. And so, she had a week of NO KIDS. She dubbed it "peace week."

This is where that part in the ten commandments about not coveting gets sticky.

A week of no kids at all? I can't even fathom it. What I could get done! I can't even swing a day of no kids. I mentioned to my mother-in-law the idea of her taking them off my hands just for a day and I got a shocked and horrified expression. I guess that won't be happening anytime soon!

Don't get me wrong-- I love my kids. But I would treasure a day or five of quiet time and time of constructive, focused efforts on those items on my to-do list that never quite get done. And yet, part of having six kids is that that just doesn't happen. Because people are, frankly, scared of the sheer number of them-- no matter how good they are. And they are. Good kids, I mean.

And so, my neighbor's peace week is over. To top it off, her son came home sick from camp. I tried not to feel vengeful about that. I was happy for her. I really was. I just won't lie and say that I don't wish it was me.

I am just being honest.
Pin It!

No comments: